Enterprise Testimony & Public Comment
Enterprise staff members provide statements, testimony and public comment on public policies affecting affordable housing and community development to the U.S. Congress and the Executive Branch.
Learn more about the policy issues and priorities we testify and comment on.
2014 Testimony and Public Comment
Small Multifamily Building Risk Share Initiative
- On January 3, Enterprise Community Partners submitted public comments in support of the Federal Housing Administration's proposed Small Multifamily Building Risk Share Initiative. The letter applauds the program as a way to expand capital to small multifamily properties, which are a critical source of affordable rental housing.
2013 Testimony and Public Comment
Dodd-Frank Act Implementation - Aligning the Qualified Residential Mortgage and Qualified Mortgage Standards
- On October 30, Enterprise Community Partners commented in a joint-letter in support on the recent proposal to align the Qualified Residential Mortgage Rule with the Qualified Mortgage Rule.
Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2013: Overview of Applicability to HUD Programs
- On October 7, Enterprise submitted comments on the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2013 and its applicability to HUD programs. The letter praises the expansion of rights and protections to all victims of domestic violence living in government subsidized housing. In response to specific requests from HUD, Enterprise recommended the need for quick housing transfers for victims living in dangerous environments and flexibility in timing for victims seeking alternative housing – particularly given the present shortages of affordable units.
Housing Finance Reform
- On October 9, Enterprise Community Partners President and CEO Terri Ludwig testified at a hearing on Essential Elements of the Multifamily Housing Finance System held by the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs. In her testimony, she stated that any future system of multifamily housing finance must have explicit provisions to support affordable housing, reach underserved segments of the market and promote long-term sustainability.
- On October 8, Enterprise Community Partners submittedcomments to the Federal Housing Finance Agency’s (FHFA) Request for Comments on Options for Reducing Fannie Mae’s and Freddie Mac’s Multifamily Businesses. The comments urge FHFA to reconsider its plans to reduce the GSE’s presence in the multifamily marketplace.
Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing
- On September 17, Enterprise, Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC), and National Housing Trust (NHT) submitted joint comments on HUD’s proposed Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing rule. The letter supports HUD’s overall goal but recommends that the final rule to be revised to ensure that jurisdictions feel empowered to revitalize distressed areas and preserve existing affordable housing as well as promote mobility to high opportunity areas. In addition, the letter recommends that HUD address capacity concerns at the local and federal level and provide greater clarity around the data and other key program requirements.
Low-Income Housing Tax Credit
- On April 9, Enterprise joined over 450 members of the ACTION Campaign in submitting comments to the House Real Estate Tax Reform Working Group in support of preserving ans strengthening the Housing Credit in tax reform. On April 15, Enterprise also submitted its own comments to the Working Group, addressing the same issue as well as the need to preserve and strengthen the New Markets Tax Credit.
Section 8 Rental Assistance
- On February 21, Enterprise joined several of its partners in submitting a letter to the Senate Banking Committee urging action on voucher reform legislation. The letter outlines a list of high priority reforms that would ease administrative burdens for housing agencies and owners, deliver fairer and more efficient assistance to low-income families, provide new tools to leverage private capital for affordable housing preservation and development and encourage self sufficiency.
Promoting Transit-Oriented Affordable Housing and Community Development
- On September 23, Enterprise submitted comments to the Department of Transportation on its Draft Strategic Plan for Fiscal Years 2014-2018.
- On April 5, Enterprise and the National Housing Conference submitted comments to the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) on its Proposed Circular on Joint Development.
- On March 11, Enterprise and several of its partners submitted a joint comment letter to the FTA on its Major Capital Investment Projects program. The comments express support for regulatory changes that promote transit-oriented affordable housing, and provide detailed implementation recommendations. Enterprise also signed onto a comment letter with members of the Equity Caucus on the same subject.
2012 Testimony and Public Comment
- On July 16, Enterprise and a broad range of partners submitted public comments to HUD on chnages to the Section 8 Tenant-Based and Project Based Voucher Programs. The comments were in response to a HUD Proposed Rule (FR-5242-P-01) implementing statutory changes passed as part of the Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008
HOME Program Funding
- On July 28, Enterprise joined its partners on the HOME Coalition in submitting a letter to HUD stressing the importance of adequate funding in fiscal years 2013 and 2014 for the HOME Investment Partnerships Program
The Science of Green Building
- On May 8, Enterprise Deputy Director of Green Communities Elizabeth Richards submitted comments for the record on the development and evaluation of the Enterprise Green Communities Criteria for a House Science, Space and Technology Subcommittee on Investigations and Oversight hearing on "The Science Behind Green Building Rating Systems."
Preventing Foreclosures and Stabilizing Neighborhoods
- On April 26, Enterprise Senior Vice President and Public Policy & Corporate Affairs Executive Ali Solis provided testimony on neighborhood stabilization efforts before a Congressional Progressive Caucus hearing on "Preventing One Million Foreclosures in 2012."
HUD Rental Assistance Demonstration
- On April 23, Enterprise submitted public comments on implementation of the Rental Assistance Demonstration program, a new Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) initiative to attract private capital for the redevelopment of public and assisted housing.
Promoting Transit-Oriented Affordable Housing and Community Development
- On August 27, Enterprise and several partners submitted a joint letter to the FTA supporting timely implementation of community development related provisions in the Proposed Rule for Major Capital Investment Projects.
- On March 23 and 26, Enterprise and several partners provided public comment to the FTA on its Proposed Rule and Policy Guidance for Major Capital Investment Projects. The comments supported FTA's efforts to promote sustainability and coordinate affordable housing, community development and transit investments.
- Enterprise comments on FTA Proposed Rule and Policy Guidance
- Green Affordable Housing Coalition comments on FTA Proposed Rule and Policy Guidance
- Joint comments on FTA Policy Guidance from Enterprise, Habitat for Humanity, the Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) and the National Housing Conference
- Joint comments on FTA Proposed Rule from broad stakeholder coalition
HOME Investment Partnerships Program
- On February 14, 2012, Enterprise submitted public comments on proposed regulatory changes for HUD's HOME Investments Partnership Program. The HUD proposed rule and comment request (Docket No.: Fr-5563-P-01; RIN 2501-AC94) is intended to improve performance and accountability and update property standards.
2011 Testimony and Public Comment
Advancing Environmental Justice
- On December 1, 2011, Senior Director, Public Policy and Government Affairs Peter Lawrence provided public comment on FTA's Proposed Environmental Justice Circular, urging FTA to take action to facilitate the preservation and development of affordable housing near transit
- On November 23, 2011, Senior Director, Green Communities Trisha Miller provided public comment on HUD's Environmental Justice Strategy, advocating for the adoption of green, health and sustainable building practices that would benefit low and moderate income households
Promoting Healthy Housing
- On October 13, 2011, Vice President, Green Initiatives Dana Bourland provided public comment on HUD's Safe and Healthy Homes Investment Partnerships.
Stabilizing Housing Nationwide
- On October 6, 2011, Senior Director, Policy Development and Research Andrew Jakabovics provided testimony before the House Financial Services Subcommittee on Insurance, Housing and Community Opportunity on bringing the private sector back into the housing market in a supportive and sustainable manner.
Public Housing Physical Needs Assessment
- On September 16, 2011, Senior Director, Public Policy and Government Affairs Peter Lawrence provided a public comment letter related to energy and water efficiency in response to HUD’s Public Housing Physical Needs Assessment Proposed Rule.
Regulatory Reform - Qualified Residential Mortgages
- On July 27, 2011, Vice President, National Community Foreclosure Response Initiative Robert Grossinger provided Public Comment to the federal financial regulatory agencies on the risk retention and qualified residential mortgage requirements under the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act (Public Law Number 111-203).
Public Proposals for the Future of the Housing Finance System
- On May 26, 2011 Enterprise President and Chief Executive Officer Terri Ludwig provided Testimony on Principles for Housing Finance Reform before the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs.
Coordination of Affordable Housing and Transit Investments
- On April 1, 2011 Enterprise and the National Housing Conference submitted a joint public comment letter to the Department of Transportation recommending changes to Federal Transit Administration regulations that could promote affordable housing and community development near public transit stations.
Sustainable Communities Regional Planning Grant Program
- On March 14, 2011 Enterprise Senior Director, Public Policy & Government Affairs Peter Lawrence provided public comment on the application rating factors for the HUD Sustainable Communities Regional Planning Grant program.
2010 Testimony and Public Comment
Housing Trust Fund Proposed Rule
- On December 21, 2010, former Enterprise Vice President, Public Policy and Government Relations Adrienne Quinn submitted a comment letter in response to HUD’s Housing Trust Fund Proposed Rule.
Positive Impacts of the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit and New Markets Tax Credit Programs
- Enterprise submitted public comments in support of the LIHTC and NMTC programs to the National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform (NCFRR), both individually and as a part of The Affordable Housing Tax Credit Coalition (AHTCC). The letters were in response to The Report on Tax Reform Options: Simplification, Compliance, and Corporate Taxation from the President’s Economic Recovery Advisory Board, which outlined options for budget reform that included the elimination or reduction of corporate tax expenditures such as LIHTC.
- October 26, 2010: Enterprise comment to the NCFRR in support of the LIHTC and NMTC programs
- November 24, 2010: AHTCC letter in support of the LIHTC and NMTC programs
Addressing Housing Needs in Native American Communities
- August 25, 2010, Corporation for Supportive Housing (CSH) President and CEO Deborah DeSantis testimony on behalf of CSH and Enterprise at the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs hearing on Innovative Solutions to Addressing Housing Needs in Our Indian Communities.
CRA Treatment of LIHTC Investments
- August 31, 2010, Enterprise joint comment with the Affordable Housing Tax Credit Coalition, Affordable Housing Investors Council, the Local Initiatives Support Corporation, Opportunity Finance Network, Housing Partnership Network, Stewards of Affordable Housing for the Future and the National Housing Trust on reducing disparities in LIHTC pricing and investment demand between large metropolitan markets and the rest of the country.
Coordinating Affordable Housing and Transit Investments
- On August 2, 2010, Enterprise, Habitat for Humanity International and the National Housing Conference provided public comment on incorporating affordable housing criteria into the application scoring process for the Federal Transit Administration’s New Starts and Small Starts programs.
Gulf Coast Rebuilding Efforts
- May 7, 2010, Doris Koo, former Enterprise Community Partners President and CEO; Letter to Congressional leadership in support of inclusion of Gulf Coast rebuilding provisions in the American Workers, State, and Business Relief Act of 2010 (H.R. 4213).
Community Development Financial Institutions Fund
- May 6, 2010, President, Enterprise Community Loan Fund Lori Chatman comment on the Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFI) Fund authorizing statute and regulations.
FHA Mortgage Products and Underwriting Standards
- August 16, 2010, former Vice President, Public Policy and Government Relations Adrienne Quinn comment to the Federal Housing Administration on Risk Management Initiatives: Reduction of Seller Concessions and New Loan-to-Value and Credit Score Requirements.
CRA Credit for NSP Activities
- July 23, 2010, former Vice President, Public Policy and Government Relations Adrienne Quinn Comment on consideration of Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP) Activities for Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) credit, submitted to the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation and Office of Thrift Supervision.
GSE Duty to Serve Underserved Markets
- July 22, 2010, former Vice President, Public Policy and Government Relations Adrienne Quinn Comment to the Federal Housing Finance Agency on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac’s duty to serve the manufactured housing, affordable housing preservation and rural markets.
The Future of the Housing Finance System
- July 21, 2010, former Vice President, Public Policy and Government Relations Adrienne Quinn Comment on the Future of Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and the Housing Finance System. In addition, Enterprise has signed on to comments submitted by the Mortgage Finance Working Group (MFWG), organized by the Center for American Progress:
- MFWG Response to Request for Public Input on Reform of the Housing Finance System
- MFWG Response to Request for Public Input on A Responsible Secondary Market System for Housing Finance
Principles for Updating the Community Reinvestment Act (CRA)
- Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Terri Ludwig's July 19, 2010 testimony before a public hearing on improving regulatory implementation of the Community Reinvestment Act.
- On June 23, 2010 Enterprise released a discussion draft of principles for revising the CRA in advance of a series of public hearings to consider regulatory changes.
Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program Demonstration Project
- July 14, 2010, former Vice President, Public Policy and Government Relations Adrienne Quinn comment on HUD demonstration project to develop zip code-specific Fair Market Rent levels.
Transforming Rental Assistance
- July 6, 2010, former Vice President, Public Policy and Government Relations Adrienne Quinn Comment on HUD’s proposal for the Preservation, Enhancement, and Transformation of Rental Assistance Act of 2010.
Green Housing and the Energy Efficiency in Housing Act
- June 30, 2010, Director, Enterprise Green Communities Trisha Miller testimony before the Senate Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs Subcommittee on Housing, Transportation and Community Development.
Green Resources for Energy Efficient Neighborhood (GREEN) Act of 2010, H.R. 2336
- April 27th, 2010, Statement from Ali Solis, SVP of Public Policy & Corporate Affairs at Enterprise Community Partners, Inc.
Federal Housing Finance Agency Proposed Rule for GSE Affordable Housing Goals
- April 12, 2010, Senior Vice President, Public Policy and Corporate Affairs Executive Ali Solis Comment on affordable multifamily housing goals for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
Weatherization of Multifamily Properties
- March 22, 2010, Senior Vice President, National Initiatives and Innovation Naomi Bayer Comment on Weatherization Assistance Program Sustainable Energy Grants.
Choice Neighborhoods Initiative
- March 17, 2010, former Vice President and Senior Policy Advisor Kris Siglin Testimony to the House Financial Services Committee.
Sustainable Communities Initiative
- March 10, 2010, Vice President, Public Policy and Government Relations Adrienne Quinn Comment on Sustainable Communities Planning Grant Advance Notice and Request for Comments
2009 Testimony and Public Comment
Community Reinvestment Act
- December 15, 2009 Coalition Letter to the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC)
Choice Neighborhoods Initiative
- FY 2010 policy recommendations to Congressional staff for the Choice Neighborhoods program
Green Resources for Energy Efficient Neighborhoods Act of 2009
- June 11, 2009, former President & CEO Doris Koo, testimony before the House Financial Services Committee, Subcommittee on Housing and Community Opportunity
2009 Economic Stimulus
- On March 26, 2009 Enterprise, the National Housing Trust, and NeighborWorks America sent a memo to the Office of Management and Budget, DOE and HUD on Recommendations to Maximize Job Creation Opportunities by Leveraging Department of Energy ARRA Funding in Multifamily Housing